SRLP offers a series called Everyday Abolition, offering a space to heal from the violence in our communities by practicing and sharing our lived experiences with everyday abolition. The series will feature conversations on practices of abolition that resonate with our communities and lives, drawing off the cultural power and knowledge of low-income trans communities and trans communities of color. For more information on this series, please contact us at email@example.com.
Liberation is a collective process and we need each other.
In love and justice,
Sasha Alexander, SRLP Director of Membership
Every Day Abolition Events"Everyday Abolition" Series Launch Event, Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Practices of Everyday Abolition: A community dialogue and conversation unpacking what abolition means, why it’s important, and the ways that we can practice this in our lives. With all the violence happening in our communities, how can we work toward an abolitionist response?Everyday Abolition: Art Making for Abolition, Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Come to SRLP to create abolitionist stencils, memes, photos, and…Prisoner Postcard Writing Party on Tuesday 6/30!, Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Show your solidarity and support as free-world allies by writing to…Holidays are Hard - Prison Pen Pal Card Writing Party, Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Holidays are hard for trans folks. Join us in writing…Open call for art submissions!, Monday, February 1, 2016 at – The Sylvia Rivera Law Project needs your support! Keep SRLP's free legal…Card Writing Party - Prisoner Advisory Commitee, Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at Sylvia Rivera Law Project – Break the isolation of our communities by coming to SRLP to write…New York State Rap Sheet Workshop, Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Have you been arrested in New York State or elsewhere?…Speak Out End Solitary - Advocacy Day at Albany, Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at – Join Campaign for Alternative to Isolated Confinement (CAIC) to speak out…Know Your Rights: How to Make a Complaint About Police Harassment, Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Attend this Know Your Rights training to learn how to…SRLP Prisoner Advisory Committee Card Writing, Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project) – Come to SRLP's Movement Building Team meeting to write cards…
March 10, 2015: Art for Abolition: Come create abolitionist stencils, memes, photos, and poetry, and see the powerful art work created by our incarcerated members of the SRLP Prisoner Advisory Committee.
April TBD: Transforming Our Communities: Release of the Prison Visit Handbook and discussion of the End Solitary campaign.
May TBD: Intersections of Abolition: May Day Celebration
- Speak up against sexual violence at the Board of Corrections hearing (7/21/2016) - Thank you to those who came out to the membership meeting on Tuesday at the Sylvia Rivera Law Project to prepare for Board of Correction (BOC) hearing! We were so grateful to be able to listen to everyone’s innovative suggestions for making NYC jails safer for trans, gender non-conforming and intersex (TGNCI) folks. If you weren’t able […]
- If You Give a Cop an Ally Cookie… (7/15/2016) - Since the tragedy in Orlando, police departments have been falling over themselves to proclaim that they are allies to the LGBT community, despite their historic and ongoing role as some of the worst perpetrators of violence against LGBT folks. Pride provided an opportunity for some outlandish displays of “allyship,” such as the NYPD’s introduction of […]
- SRLP Members Help HALT Solitary in NYS Prisons (4/8/2016) - On any single day about 4,000 people are held in solitary confinement in New York State prisons. This is a fact that Marci, a member of the Sylvia Rivera Law Project’s Movement Building Team, knows all too well. Having survived solitary confinement herself, Marci is now joining a group of advocates on April 12 […]
- Reducing Sexual Violence on the Road to Abolition (3/29/2016) - Next Monday, April 4, SRLP is thrilled to be joining survivors, loved ones of survivors and advocates in the beginning of a campaign to address sexual violence and sexual harassment in the NYC jails. Around this time last year SRLP, along with other allied organizations and New York City’s Public Advocate Letitia James, submitted […]
- Trans Voices Raised At Public Hearing (10/23/2015) - Last Friday, members of the SRLP Movement Building Team and Prison Advisory Committee shared their stories and personal concerns regarding rules pending before the Board of Correction. Staff and members testified before the Board and spoke out at a rally before. SRLP staff is so honored to work with members who share their stories […]
- SRLP spoke up against solitary confinement and limitation on visitation rules at BOC hearing (10/18/2015) - On Friday, October 16, SRLP staff and members, including India, Natalia, Olympia and Xena, along with our allies such as the Jails Action Coalition, attended a Board of Corrections hearing to speak up against the Department of Correction’s attempt to increase the use of solitary confinement to over 30 days and its attempt to curtail visitation […]
- Letter from Xena, a Prison Advisory Committee Member (9/8/2015) - The Sylvia Rivera Law Project is more than just an organization to me – it is like a family. Many years ago, when SRLP learned about my incarceration, a staff member drove up to Adirondack for many hours just to check on how I was doing. That meant a lot to me and brought tears […]
- Today 4/22: SRLP at #HALTSolitaryConfinement advocacy day in Albany, NY (4/22/2015) - Today, April 22, SRLP’s Prisoner Justice Project Director Mik Kinkead and Outreach Director Juana Peralta are in Albany at the #HALTSolitaryConfinement Advocacy Day with NY Campaign for Alternatives to Isolated Confinement advocating to end the use of solitary confinement and other forms of extreme isolation in NY prison and jails. Over 3,800 people are in […]
- Celebrate SRLP’s Everyday Abolition series Movement Building Team Organizers Aviva and Olympia! (2/18/2015) - The Sylvia Rivera Law Project is excited to uplift and celebrate the leadership of our Movement Building Team organizers Aviva and Olympia who are both helping develop and launch our new “Every Day Abolition” series. Last night was the first event of the series“Practices of Every Day Abolition” which was a huge success! Thanks to […]
- Resisting violence with everyday abolition (2/11/2015) - Dear Community, I can barely bring myself to keep writing and editing this letter because our people keep being murdered. Friday night in New Orleans, we lost another community member, Penny Proud. We’ve already lost 6 trans women of color to violence in 2015. Michelle Vash Payne was murdered in Los Angeles, Ty Underwood in […]