Get Legal Help from SRLP
Come to our legal clinics
SRLP has drop-in clinics Thursdays from 1-4:30pm at our office.
We offer Spanish interpretation. Our office is located at 147 WEST 24TH STREET, 5TH FLOOR, NEW YORK, NY 10011. Walk-ins are welcome, but please call ahead if you can!
Our legal help line is (212) 337-8550, extension 308. Please leave a message and someone will get back to you within 72 hours. Our legal help line remains active even when intake is closed. Please keep in mind that SRLP is only able to provide legal services to people living in the five boroughs of New York City and people incarcerated by New York State. We always want to learn more about and provide support to trans people of color and low income TGNCI people across the world, but we are unable to provide legal services outside of these geographic areas.
To reach our Director of Client Services call 212-337-8550 ext. 303.
If you have legal questions, you can email us at email@example.com or use the form below. Please note that other people may read this email before it gets to a lawyer, so the best thing to do is leave out details until a lawyer gets back to you. Our email help remains available while intake is closed. Please keep in mind that SRLP is only able to provide legal services to people living in the five boroughs of New York City and people incarcerated by New York State. We always want to learn more about and provide support to trans people of color and low income TGNCI people across the world, but we are unable to provide legal services outside of these geographic areas.
People unable to use the phone or emails systems can write to us at the address below. If you are incarcerated and need to use the name of an attorney you may add “Attn: Mik Kinkead, Esq.”
Sylvia Rivera Law Project
147 W 24th St, 5th Fl
New York, NY 10011
Who We Serve
SRLP provides direct representation for low income transgender people and transgender people of color in three main areas. We have three projects, and if your issue falls under one of our projects, we may be able to help you. If we can’t represent you, we can provide referrals and information on a wide range of issues affecting transgender and gender-nonconforming people. See our referrals page for more information.
For legal help, please come to our Drop-In Hours or call 212-337-8550, extension 308 for a legal assessment.
- Name Changes
- Assistance Obtaining and Updating ID Documents
- Health Care Advocacy
- Criminal History/Fingerprinting
- Name Changes
- Assistance Updating Immigration Documents, such as Employment Cards, Green Cards, and Naturalization Certificates
- Adjustment of Status
- Removal Defense
The Prisoner Justice Project provides assistance in civil matters to people held in New York City jails and in New York State Prisons. We are unable to provide direct legal services with criminal cases or appeals of criminal cases although we are happy to work with your attorney to ensure trans-competent representation. We are unable to provide direct legal assistance to people held outside of New York. We are able to provide the following services:
- name changes to incarcerated individuals
- assistance with changing names on government documents while incarcerated
- assistance obtaining hormones
- assistance obtaining gender appropriate undergarments
- assistance preparing for parole appearances
- advocacy and support around sexual violence and violations of the Prison Rape Elimination Act
- advocacy and support around transfers and requests for alternate housing
- advocacy and support around conditions of solitary
- advocacy and support around mental health care needs and assessments
- obtaining correct sentence calculations
- review and appeal of disciplinary solitary confinement (Tier IIIs)
- other civil matters concerning conditions of confinement
The Prisoner Justice Project has partnered with other organizations to provide litigation services in the past, however, due to our size and the number of individuals we serve we are generally unable to engage in litigation.