SRLP Seeks Director of Grassroots Fundraising and Communications
The Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination, or violence. SRLP is a collective organization founded on the understanding that gender self-determination is inextricably intertwined with racial, social and economic justice. Therefore, we seek to increase the political voice and visibility of low-income people and people of color who are transgender, intersex, or gender non-conforming. We improve access to respectful and affirming social, health, and legal services for our communities using a multi-strategy approach to actualize change at every level of the system: we provide direct legal services to meet immediate needs; bring litigation and work on policy reform for systemic change; and utilize public education and leadership development for long-term sustainable impact.
The Director of Grassroots Fundraising and Communications works directly with SRLP’s Fundraising and Finance Team (FFT) to secure the financial support of the organization. This position’s primary goal is to expand and build stronger relationships with our donor base and supporters while integrating fundraising with organizing and communications strategies. The Director of Grassroots Fundraising coordinates SRLP’s fundraising events, earned income strategies, fundraising and outreach mailings, social media presence, public education materials, and individual donor campaigns. This staff member is responsible for working with FFT to create annual budgets and fundraising plans. This role also includes the co-supervision of the Bookkeeping consultant and fundraising interns. The Director of Grassroots Fundraising is part of the SRLP Collective and will participate in Collective decision making processes, staff meetings, retreats, and will share administrative and organizational responsibilities with other Collective members.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and adapt grassroots fundraising strategies and budgets to support SRLP’s annual and long-range programmatic and organizational needs.
- Manage online presence; coordinate content creation for website and social media and increase social media following.
- Coordinate SRLP fundraising events, including house parties and benefits. This includes donor engagement and organizing community members and supporters to host and implement events.
- Expand SRLP’s donor base and deepen relationships with SRLP donors to ensure continued commitment.
- Coordinate annual major donor campaigns.
- Maintain updated funding, donor, and sales contact database.
- Process timely acknowledgements of donations.
- Work with staff to produce newsletter/annual report and annual direct mail.
- Coordinate distribution and sales of SRLP merchandise; work with other teams to develop and implement their own earned income strategies.
- Work with FFT to ensure efficient, accurate and compliant financial management systems; and participate in leading annual budget process.
- Build the fundraising skills of Collective and community members through skill-shares and trainings.
- Supervise undergraduate interns and volunteers involved in fundraising and administrative responsibilities.
- Process check requests and internal reimbursements.
- Support other development staff and team efforts in fiscal management, grant and report writing, foundation relations and site visits, and other income generating strategies.
- Work collectively with staff and community members to ensure the health and sustainability of the organization.
- Participate in other Collective-wide responsibilities including attending monthly meetings, retreats, supervision and team meetings.
- Participate and follow-through on other staff responsibilities, as agreed to.
- Work on administrative responsibilities including annual renewal of insurances, office supply ordering, and various other office management responsibilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven success in implementing fundraising events and campaigns over 10k.
- Experience managing a successful individual giving program.
- Experience in event planning and promotion.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and respond quickly to new opportunities.
- Exceptional written communication skills.
- Experience with budgeting.
- Tech savvy with preferred proficiency in Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, CiviCRM, and social media.
- Excellent organizational abilities, attention to detail and time management abilities.
- Quick thinker and ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to work in a non-hierarchical collective.
- Passionate about our mission and values.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Commitment to gender self-determination centered in racial and economic justice.
Hours and Compensation:
This position is a full-time, salaried position with medical, dental and optical benefits as well as three weeks paid vacation.
40 hours/week, some evenings and weekends.
Consistent with our values as a collective, all staff receives salaries based on the same hourly rate. An increased salary is possible based on need, such as for people supporting family members.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references to Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted by August 31, 2018.
SRLP is an equal opportunity employer. Trans, gender non-conforming and intersex people and people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and people from low-income backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please. We will only contact applicants we intend to interview.