Movement Building Team Intern
The Movement Building Team is a collaboration of SRLP members who identify as low-income trans, intersex, gender non-conforming folks and trans, intersex, gender non-conforming people of color along with SRLP staff. The MBT was designed to build and grow the leadership skills of community members while developing and coordinating community workshops, discussions, celebrations and events for our membership. Interns at SRLP work on a range of issues affecting low-income transgender, intersex, and gender non-conforming people of color.
MBT Internship Description
Interns with MBT would primarily be supporting the work of the Prisoner Advisory Committee (PAC). They will learn and engage with SRLP’s prison work to help advance the work of PAC, working closely with the Director of Outreach and Community Engagement and other staff in assisting with tasks related to PAC, including, but not limited to:
- Participating in outreach, coordination, and logistics related to PAC card writing events and other MBT related events
- Reviewing and updating publication materials
- Supporting facilitation and participating in workshops & skills shares around abolition and SRLP’s prisoner justice work
- Conducting research and developing workshop materials around the impact that trans and gender non-conforming folks experience within the prison industrial complex
- Supporting the development and production of SRLP’s bi-annual newsletter “In Solidarity” that goes out to PAC members on the inside
- Designing and laying out the PAC Calendar
- Distributing correspondence, mailing updates, and member certificates to PAC members
- Responding to PAC member correspondence submissions
- Maintaining addresses and release dates for all PAC members and tracking them in excel and other databases
- Processing new PAC member forms, supporting with legal and non-legal volunteer mailing parties, envelope stuffing, and other required tasks to support the program
- Ensuring that PAC related materials and documents are filed, scanned, and saved on the shared drive
Internship Skills Needed
Applicants must have a strong commitment to working towards self-determination for gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination, or violence. People of color, trans people, gender non-conforming people, and people with intersex conditions are strongly encouraged to apply. Must be willing to work individually and in a team setting. Fluency in Spanish is preferred but not required. Experience with InDesign or other graphic design platforms preferred.
Internships are 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships are unpaid. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter.
Please send a resume and cover letter to mbt [at] srlp.org.