Top Menu

How to Change Your ID Documents for Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Intersex (TGNCI) Individuals

Welcome to the Sylvia Rivera Law Project’s ID Change Resource, our step-by-step guide to updating your identification documents in New York.

***This page is our resource guide for changing your ID documents when agencies are in full service operation. Please visit this page for our updates on these services during the COVID-19 pandemic.***

If this resource is useful to you, consider donating $5 today to support SRLP’s work.

So you’ve had a legal name change – congrats! What are your next steps? Well, you have to update and change your name and gender with all government agencies, banks, landlords, and any computer systems that you are listed in. This guide will help you understand the process for changing all of your identity documents.

Table of Contents:
What Do You Need?
Social Security Card
New York City Municipal ID (“IDNYC”)
New York State ID
New York State Benefits Card
New York City Birth Certificate
New York State Birth Certificate
Other Birth Certificates
U.S. Passport
Immigration IDs
New York State GED Diplomas
New York City High School Diplomas and Transcripts
Other Items to Update
Sample Doctor’s Letter for Agency Gender Change

Updated September 10, 2021

What Do You Need?

To change your name: Your name change order with the receipt, staples and all.

To change your gender: A well written doctor’s letter is usually what you need. One of the most important things that you will need to change your gender marker is a doctor’s letter affirming or attesting to your “gender transition.” SRLP has a sample letter included at the end of this guide that you can give your doctor to fill out and sign. We encourage you to get three (3) original letters in case any agencies take them or refuse to make a copy. Most agencies accept letters with the language “appropriate clinical treatment.” However, some agencies require more strict and binary language determining that you have “completed the process of gender transition to the new gender” or that “one gender predominates over the other.”

**In the future, governmental agencies may allow “self-attestation” which means that you do not need a doctor letter to change your gender marker. SRLP will continue to update this guide to tell you when this applies to all agencies, but until then, it is best to still obtain well written doctor letters.**

Social Security Card
Social Security is required to change your name in their records if you provide them with a legal name change order and is one of the first documents you should update to prevent mismatch errors in any application or search. To update, fill out the name change application form (Form SS-5). You must also submit proof of your identity using a current government issued photo ID. If you don’t have a photo ID, SRLP can help you get one. If you are a citizen, you may also need to submit proof of US Citizenship by providing a certified copy of your birth certificate, passport, or naturalization certificate if SSA does not have record of your status. If you are a non-citizen, you must provide proof of your immigration status and work eligibility. If you are a lawful permanent resident, or have work authorization with any other status, you are permitted to have a Social Security card and should not be turned away. If you are turned away because of your immigration status, contact SRLP.

To change the gender they have on file, you may provide a copy of a U.S. Passport showing the correct gender, a birth certificate showing the correct gender, a court order recognizing the correct gender, or a signed letter from a physician confirming you have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition (see well written doctor letter at the end of this guide). Social Security then changes your gender in four separate computer systems, so make sure they update it in each or there might be complications.

Changing your social security card is a good first or second step in updating your IDs. There is also no fee to change your Social Security information. Updating your Social Security Card will also update your Medicare card as it is the same system. However, please keep in mind that Social Security keeps your old name and gender information on file and that information may come up later in unwanted ways, such as junk mail under your old name. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done about this. The Social Security Administration will not issue a new social security number to individuals solely because of their gender transition.

We recommend the Manhattan Social Security Offices for changes of name or gender. Anyone can go there, regardless to what borough they live in. There is also a borough-specific office for both Brooklyn and Queens. However, our clients often have bad experiences at the two borough offices, including getting yelled at, made fun of, or wrongly denied services, so we don’t recommend them.

Social Security Card Center
123 William Street
New York, NY 10036

Please print Social Security’s policy and take it with you to ensure a smoother process.

**As of September 10, 2021, during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may need to mail your documents to your local office as well as your original identity document, such as your State ID. SSA says they will mail back your original documents, but it is a good idea to make photocopies of your documents just in case they get lost in the mail. You may be able to make an appointment on their website to go in person during COVID-19, but there is no guarantee they will see you due to the changing pandemic.

Social Security offices are currently open only for in-person appointments for limited, critical situations, depending upon local office conditions. However, you can continue to apply for a replacement Social Security card online and by mail.

Before requesting a replacement card, please remember that you might not need the physical card. Most of the time, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough.

If you have a critical situation that requires you to have a physical card and you cannot apply by mail or online, you should call your local Social Security office. Please visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates page for more information.

Applying Online

If you don’t need any changes to your Social Security Number record (such as a name or date of birth change), applying for a replacement card online is your most convenient option. You don’t need to mail proof or visit an office.

You can use our online application if you are an adult, have a State-issued drivers’ license or non-driver identification card, and live in the District of Columbia or one of the 45 States that verifies State-issued documents for us. All you need to do is create a my Social Security account to access and complete the online application.

If you live in one of the five States that do not participate—Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and West Virginia—know that we are working hard to bring this service to you as soon as possible.

Applying by Mail

SSA requires proof of your identity with your replacement card application, usually a State-issued drivers’ license or non-driver identification card, or U.S. passport. We call these documents “primary” identity proofs. We understand mailing primary identity proofs with your replacement card application can be challenging. To help, we are temporarily expanding our policy to accept alternative identity documents—or what we call “secondary proofs”—when you cannot mail primary proof.

Acceptable secondary proofs include, but are not limited to:

  • Employee identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card).
  • U.S. military identification card.

These proofs must be current (not expired), show your name and identifying information (such as your date of birth or age), and be an original or a certified copy.

If you need to change your name, when you mail your replacement card application, you will need to submit proof of identity plus proof of the name change. The proof of identity can be primary or secondary proof. Proof of the name change could be a marriage certificate, divorce decree, Certificate of Naturalization showing the new name, or a court order approving the name change.

You may be able to submit one document to serve as proof of your name change and identity. For example, you may submit a marriage certificate as proof of name change and identity if the certificate shows the marriage occurred within the prior two years and:

  • Includes your prior name.
  • Includes your age, birth date or parents’ names.
  • This information matches your Social Security Number record.

SSA will return any documents you send us.*

New York City Municipal ID (“idNYC”)

The New York City Municipal ID card is one of the easiest IDs for TGNCI people to get. Unlike many other IDs, IDNYC’s gender marker can be issued with four options: x, female, male, female, or no gender. You just mark on the form what you identify as, and that’s your gender on the ID!

If you are applying for an IDNYC card for the first time, the application is free. You will need to complete an application form and provide identification and proof that you live in New York City. The IDNYC program uses a point system. You will need at least three points worth of documents to prove your identity and at least one point document to prove that you live in NYC. IDNYC accepts over 65 categories of identifying documents. These items are listed on the IDNYC Applicant Guide on their website, or you can use this handy Document Calculator on their website to make sure you have enough points. A benefit card from HRA is worth 3 points, which would mean you just need a letter saying you live in NYC and this ID is yours! While this is great, many TGNCI people do not have a stable home addresses. If this is your case, you can provide a letter from a City agency, nonprofit organization, religious institution, hospital, or health clinic to show that you live in the city, but no address will appear on the ID card. If an agency accepts mail for you, you can get a letter from them and it will be “in-care-of” on the ID. Please note: the NYPD requires an address to be listed on the ID for it to be valid.

Once you have collected these identification points, or if you already have an IDNYC, all you will need to change your name is a certified copy of your legal name change order. If you already have your new preferred name on an ID that counts as one of the identifying documents above, you can simply bring that ID instead of the court order. If it conflicts with the name used for your proof of residence, though, you will still need to bring a copy of your legal name change order. If you ever want to change your gender in the future, you just need to make an oral request at the enrollment center. Find an enrollment center near you or online and make an appointment through the IDNYC Website. Applications are available online in over 25 languages and are also available to be filled out at the enrollment center.

When you visit an enrollment center, you will be asked to submit your application and documents proving identity and residency. Your photo will be taken to be included on the card. All of your original documents will be returned to you immediately when the enrollment process is complete. Your IDNYC card will be mailed to your home in 10-14 business days. If you do not have an address or have security concerns about an address appearing on your IDNYC card, you will be able to pick up your card at the enrollment center where you applied 15 business days later.

**As of September 10, 2021, during the COVID-19 pandemic, please check their website to make sure that you can apply in person or by mail. Please see here for more information:**

New York State ID

It can be hard to get a New York State ID if you have never had one. If you are applying for the first time, or your ID has been expired for more than two years, you will need to put together identification documents totaling six points to prove your date of birth and legal name. This must include your social security card (or proof of ineligibility), which counts as two points. You will need to accumulate four other points using things such as a birth certificate, utility bills, or U.S. Passport. At least one of the ID documents you provide must include your signature, and they must all be originals or certified copies. These items are listed on the New York State Division of Motor Vehicles webpage, and you can also go to any DMV office for more information.

However, the good news is that if you have all six points, or you already have a New York State ID, it is one of the easiest documents to get in your preferred legal name and gender. You must provide a completed application form (MV-44), a certified copy of your legal name change order, and your current New York State ID. If you are also seeking to change your gender marker, you will need to submit a doctor’s letter that states that your preferred gender is your predominant gender. Please see our sample letter for an example. This policy will change June 24, 2022 as the result of the gender recognition act and allow the gender marker “x” and male or female without a gender letter. You can learn more here: 

At the DMV, they usually take all of your documents and make copies but will usually return the originals to you before you leave. If you are on public assistance of any age or over 62 and receiving SSI, you may be able to receive a free non-driver’s ID. You can bring the necessary proofs with you to the DMV, such as a budget letter or benefit verification letter.

The fee may be waived or reduced if you can prove you receive state means tested benefit, such as food stamps or SSI.

We recommend visiting the DMV offices in Manhattan, as they process a large volume of applications daily and are likely more familiar with the rules regarding name and gender changes. You can also make an appointment online. If this is your first time getting a New York State ID, go to one of the Manhattan DMV offices located at:

New York State Division of Motor Vehicles
(Midtown Manhattan Office)
366 W 31st Street
New York, NY 10001


New York State Division of Motor Vehicles
(Lower Manhattan Office)
11 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10004

If you already have a valid New York State ID, you may be able to save some time by changing your name and gender at the License Express Office at:

License Express
145 W 30th Street
New York, NY 10001

As of December 14, 2019, NYS law allows undocumented immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. They do not allow undocumented immigrants to obtain State IDs but do allow them to obtain driver’s licenses. In order for you to obtain a driver’s license without a valid social security card, you must obtain some proof of identification required by the NYS DMV office, likely a valid foreign passport. As this is new, we recommend looking at this page for more information: If you are seeking a driver’s license, there are additional steps such as a vision test and driving test. Please consult the NYS DMV website for more information.

New York State Benefits Card and Medicaid

Your New York State Common Benefits Identification Card (CBIC) may be one of the most important IDs you use. The CBIC is the plastic card titled “New York State Benefit Identification Card” through which eligible individuals can access services like Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

If you receive food stamps or Medicaid in New York City, the city’s Human Resources Administration (HRA) has a policy that allows you to change your name, gender, signature, and photo with HRA when you get a legal name change or receive updated identity documents, such as a birth certificate. All you need to do is bring the legal name change order or updated documents below to your PA office, Job Center, or HASA case worker.

The application to change your name and gender is located here.

For a gender correction with HRA, you can submit an accurate or amended birth certificate, a NYS Driver’s License, a NYS Non-Driver ID, a letter from Social Security, a medical note, or a gender-affirming passport. You should also request a G-1 billing exception code if you identify as female or a G-2 code if you identify as male so that you will not be denied services that have typically been restricted based on sex designations.

For a name change with HRA, you can submit a court order, an accurate or amended birth certificate, a NYS Driver’s License, a NYS Non-Driver ID, a letter from Social Security, or a gender-affirming passport. You can also submit a marriage license.

If you have any problems at your job center or PA site, you can reference the LGBTQIA policy.

For individuals who have benefits or state aid, such as those who enrolled through the marketplace and not via HRA, NY State has a similar policy. If you receive benefits, such as Medicaid, from New York State of Health, you will need to update with them by calling 1-855-355-5777 or by logging into your web login and uploading the appropriate documents, such as your name change order and doctor letter. You should also request a G-1 billing exception code if you identify as female or a G-2 code if you identify as male so that you will not be denied services that have typically been restricted based on sex designations. You can also fax your documents with your account number and/or social security number to 1-855-387-1363. It is a good idea to submit your doctor letter when requesting the G-1 or G-2 codes.

New York State’s Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance and the New York State Department of Health recently amended their policy to remove the sex designation on CBICs. Under the new policy, all newly issued benefit cards come without a gender marker. You can therefore ask for a new card but will not be able to have your gender switched on the card. The service provider should be able to provide you with a new benefits card the same day. Because this is a new policy, there may be HRA providers who are unfamiliar with the updated policy. As is true with any change in law, regulation, or policy, we do not expect this transition to be without complications. If you have any issues getting a new, genderless CBIC, please call SRLP for help.

This policy does not apply to cards issued by insurance providers of Medicaid benefits, such as Amida Care or HealthFirst.

In the future, this policy and gender marker issues with Medicaid and state benefits may change due to the passage of the Gender Recognition Act, see here and talk to SRLP for more information: 

**As of September 10, 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NYC Human Resources Administration is still processing benefits cards. Please check the HRA website’s FAQ page for general information. You can check the main HRA page for COVID closures and updates.

CBIC processing sites are still open although with shortened hours:

  • 109 East 16th Street, Ground Floor (between Union Square East and Irving Place) New York, NY 10003 Open: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
  • 227 Schermerhorn Street, Ground Floor (between Bond Street and Hoyt Street) Brooklyn, NY 11201 Open: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM

New York City Birth Certificate

New York City birth certificates are issued by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH). To update your birth certificate, you must complete DOHMH “Correcting a Birth Certificate” form (VR-172) and provide a photocopy of current, signed photo identification. If you are updating your name, you must submit a certified copy of your legal name change order.

To change your gender marker, New York City’s policy as of January 1, 2019 requires only self-attestation of your gender! Proof of surgery or a doctor’s letter is no longer required if you are over 18 years old. The affirmation or affidavit must include your name, date of birth, birth certificate number, and address and must be notarized. You may also use the Self-Attestation form provided by the city. If under 18, you must involve your legal guardians/parents.

Finally, you must submit a check or money order for $55. This includes the $40 fee for updating the name and/or gender on your birth certificate plus $15 for the new certified copy. The materials can be submitted in person or sent by mail to the address below:

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Office of Vital Records, Corrections Unit
ATTN: David Mitchem
125 Worth Street, Room 144, CN-4
New York, NY 10013

New York State Birth Certificate (Any County Outside of New York City)
To update birth certificates issued in New York State outside of the five boroughs of New York City, you will first need a certified copy of your current birth certificate or a notarized affidavit confirming that you are 18 years of age or older. You will also need a completed Application for Correction of Birth (Form DOH-297). To change your name on the birth certificate, you must include a certified copy of the legal name change order.

Even better, on March 10, 2020, the Department of Health announced a change to its policy to allow minors to correct their gender marker and to allow self-attestation for gender marker corrections. This means you no longer need a doctor letter to correct the gender marker on your birth certificate! This policy will become more liberal with the Gender Recognition Act and its full implementation on December 21, 2021 as well, so stay tuned for more updates.

The steps for correcting via mail are as follows:

To update birth certificates issued in New York State outside of the five boroughs of New York City, you will first need a certified copy of your current birth certificate or a notarized affidavit confirming that you are 18 years of age or older. You can change your gender if you are over 17. A parent or guardian must request a gender marker change for anyone under 17 and a name change for anyone under 18. You will also need a completed Application for Correction of Birth (Form DOH 5305). To change your name on the birth certificate, you must include a certified copy of the legal name change order.

To correct the gender marker on your birth certificate, you will need to complete a Notarized Affidavit of Gender Error for a Person 17 Years of Age or Older (Form DOH 5303), if you are 17 years or older. If you are younger than 17, your parent or legal guardian must submit the correction request on your behalf. They will need to complete and sign a Notarized Affidavit Form Affirming the Gender Identity of their Child (Form DOH5304).

Send all the above materials, along with a $30 check, to:

New York State Department of Health
Director of Vital Records
ATTN: Guy Warner
800 North Pearl Street, 2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12204

If you have any questions, or to request copies of the application and affidavit forms for adults, please contact Guy Warner, Director, Bureau of Vital Records directly at (518) 474-5245 or email

**Starting December 21, 2021, due to the Gender Recognition Act, this policy will change and allow individuals to change their gender marker without a doctor letter. The policy also allows transgender parents to change their child’s name to reflect parent/parent designations rather than the mother/father binary. Please see here for more information: 

Other Birth Certificates

Each state has a different rule on changing name and gender on birth certificates. Some states, such as Washington or Vermont, will accept a letter similar to the one you would use for a passport. Some states, such as California, require a court order. Other states will not change your birth certificate at all. If you were born in Puerto Rico, they will not change your gender, but may be able to change your name. You may have more luck going in person to the Demographic Registry in Puerto Rico.

SRLP is able to provide direct legal services to people living in the five boroughs of New York City and people incarcerated by New York State. For information on changing your IDs within the U.S. and land occupied by the U.S., we recommend visiting the National Center for Transgender Equality’s ID Documents Center. Do keep in mind that some policies may change without notice. For updated rules for each state, we recommend calling the Department of Health and/or Bureau of Vital Statistics for where you were born. If you are a United States citizen and cannot update your birth certificate, we recommend getting a United States Passport. Please see below for more information.


U.S. Passport

The Department of State issues U.S. passports. Since 2010, it has had a liberal policy allowing individuals to change their gender marker by doctor letter, and soon, the policy may allow self-attestation. However, the passport is fairly expensive – it costs $110 plus a $25 processing fee, paid separately. This amount cannot be waived.

Please note, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there are LONG wait times to receive a passport or renew. Please keep this in mind and look up the delays before you apply with your original ID documents.

If you already have a valid, unexpired U.S. passport and you only want to change your name, you will need your legal name change order, your current valid passport, a recent 2×2 passport photo, and a completed Passport Renewal Application (Form DS-82).

If you are applying for a passport for the first time, your passport is expired, or you want to also change your gender marker, you will need more materials. You will first need to provide proof of citizenship by showing your most recent U.S. passport, an original certified copy of your birth certificate, or a certificate of naturalization/citizenship.

To change your name, the passport policy requires a certified copy of your legal name change order. To change your gender marker, you will need a doctor’s letter stating that you have received appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition and a few other specific requirements.

Our sample letter includes all of the required elements for changing your U.S. passport. However, if all of the identification documents that you submit with your passport application (like your birth certificate, social security, and state IDs) reflect your correct gender, you do not need a physician’s letter!

You will also need to prove your identity with a signed photo ID such as a state driver’s license or non-driver ID. If your state ID is from a state different than the state where you are applying, you will need TWO forms of picture ID. All IDs should be copied front and back. You should bring your Social Security card as well.

Finally, you will need two 2×2 passport photos that resemble your current appearance, and a completed application form (Form DS-11). All applicants for name and/or gender marker change MUST fill out the DS-11 form.

Currently, the State Department issues two types of passports. The first is a standard full validity passport, valid for ten years, for those whose gender transition is “complete”. The second is for those who are still “in the process” of transition. The passport policy previously required proof of surgery to change the gender marker for a full validity passport. The State Department therefore offered a second type of passport with limited validity for those who were still in the process of transitioning or had not had surgery yet. It has limited validity in that it is only valid for two years.

With the change in requirements, we now recommend all TGNCI folks to apply for the full validity ten-year passport. If you do elect to apply for a limited validity two year passport, you may extend it to a full validity passport free of charge if you apply within the two years by submitting the DS-5504 Form.

Once you have all the materials, you should bring them to your local post office for processing. We recommend going to the James Farley Post Office on 33rd Street and 8th Avenue or Old Chelsea Station:

James Farley Post Office
421 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001


Old Chelsea Station
217 W 18th Street
New York, NY 10011

If you have issues, you may be able to contact the Senator’s Office for your state as a constituent service to get help with your passport application.

**As of September 10, 2021, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, make sure to check to see if the post office is still accepting passports or if the hours have changed**

Immigration IDs

When you apply for any immigration benefit with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), you always have the option of making your preferred name known (for example, in the field that asks you for other names you use) and selecting the gender that feels comfortable to you, even without a legal name change order, doctor’s letter, or other changed IDs. This applies to people applying for an immigration benefit for the first time, and also those who already have a record with USCIS under a different name or gender marker and are applying for something new.

USCIS will be most convinced that it should address you by your preferred name and gender if you do submit legal or medical documents. According to its April 2012 policy, USCIS is required to recognize your correct gender marker, and issue IDs and other documents accordingly, if you submit a letter from a doctor that meets the passport letter criteria, a court order recognizing your gender marker, or a changed birth certificate or passport with your application. USCIS will also issue all letters and documents in your legal name if you submit a name change order with your application.

That said, you are always permitted to advocate for yourself that you are the gender that you know yourself to be! USCIS officers may follow your instructions and address you by the correct gender even without a name change order, doctor’s letter, or other changed IDs. Unfortunately, USCIS is unlikely to address you in your preferred name without a legal name change order.

If you do have a name change order and/or doctor’s letter and want to update your name and/or gender marker with USCIS, SRLP recommends either submitting an application to replace an ID you already have or one that is about to expire (such as  I-765 form to replace a work permit; I-90 form to replace a green card; N-565 form to replace a Certificate of Naturalization), or by submitting a new application for an immigration benefit that you are eligible for (such as applying for asylum, permanent residency, naturalization, etc.). For many immigration forms, you will need to pay a fee or submit an I-912 form to request a fee waiver.

Please note that the “doctor’s” letter for immigration purposes does not need to be signed by a physician but can be signed by the following licensed healthcare professionals: counselors, nurse practitioners, physicians (Medical Doctors or Doctors of Osteopathy), physician assistants, psychologists, social workers, and therapists. Please also note that immigration does not require certified copies or originals of name change orders or gender marker letters – they can just be photocopies.

Each immigration application also requires other legal or medical documents to prove your eligibility to submit that application. Please contact SRLP for help figuring out what you may need or for more information.

*As of September 10, 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are open, see this notice for the latest.*

New York State GED Diplomas

The New York State Education Department is willing to change names on GED or TASC diplomas for transgender people. To obtain a new, accurate diploma, fill out Attachment H, also available on the New York State Education Department website. The form should be accompanied by a cover letter explaining the change to be made, a certified check or money order for $10 (the fee for ordering a replacement GED certificate and transcript, but this might be waived if you are changing your gender), a copy of your state ID and Social Security card, and a doctor’s letter similar to the sample found on the last page of this document. If any of the documentation you will be sending has a name on it that has not been updated, it might be a good idea to include a copy of your name change order. Mail these materials to the following address, also listed on the bottom of Attachment H.

The University of the State of New York
The State Education Department, High School Equivalency (HSE) Office
Attn: Ann Marie
P.O. Box 7348
Albany, NY 12224

New York City High School Diplomas and Transcripts

The New York City Department of Education will change the name and the gender marker on diplomas and transcripts for transgender and gender non-conforming students. To obtain a name change on a diploma or transcript, the Department of Education will need a copy of a court ordered name change. To change the gender marker on your diploma or transcript, the Department of Education will need one of the following:

  • An updated passport
  • Birth certificate
  • idNYC

For current students:

Present your documentation to your pupil accounting secretary at your school. They can then process the change in ATS, the student information system, and all documents going forward will use the accurate name and gender marker.

For graduated students:

Please email You can include a copy of the court ordered name change for a name change and/or a birth certificate or passport for a gender marker change. If you would like to receive an updated transcript or diploma, also include an address and a signed records request form.

Other Items to Update

Finally, you will also need to update your information with other vital services, employers, and any other government agencies with which you interact. These may include:

  • Banks
  • Credit Cards
  • Utilities, like cell phone and electric bills
  • Credit Bureaus
  • Landlords/Leases
  • Library
  • Health Insurance
  • Life Insurance
  • Educational Programs
  • Board of Elections
  • Property
  • Department of Corrections & Community Supervision/Parole Officer
  • Trusts
  • Social Media

This can be done by submitting a certified copy of your name change order. If you face discrimination or encounter any problems, please contact the Sylvia Rivera Law Project at 212-337-8550 or call the New York City Commission on Human Rights by calling 311 and asking for Human Rights.

Sample Doctor’s Letter for Agency Gender Change

Doctor’s Letterhead (Doctor Address, Phone and Fax)


To Whom It May Concern:

I have been licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York since [date].  Jean/John Doe has been my patient since [date].  In my medical opinion, Ms./Mr./Mx. Doe is a transgender wo/man.  I have determined that her/his fe/male gender predominates and administered appropriate clinical treatment.

As a result, Ms./Mr./Mx. Doe has had appropriate clinical treatment and has now successfully undergone all necessary medical and/or surgical procedures to fully transition from male/female to female/male.  Her/his transition is complete. Ms./Mr./Mx. Doe should be considered fe/male for all legal and documentation purposes, including on her/his passport, driver’s license, and social security records.  Indicating her/his gender as fe/male is accurate and will eliminate the considerable confusion and bias Ms./Mr./Mx. Doe encounters when using identification that does not reflect her/his current true gender.

I affirm, under the penalty of perjury, that all of the information contained herein is the truth.

Very truly yours,

Doctor’s Name, MD
Medical License #

[For some states, it may need to be notarized]