Share Your Story
In partnership with one of our sibling organizations, the Jails Action Coalition (JAC), SRLP is helping to gather stories of transgender, gender non-conforming, and intersex (TGNCI) people who would like to visit loved ones in the NYC jails but encounter difficulties when trying to visit. Even if you have never visited because you are worried about the experience, that is also something we want to hear about!
If you are a TGNCI person or if you are trying to visit a TGNCI person, we would love to share your story to help improve visitation. You can reach out to Mik Kinkead, SRLP’s Director of the Prisoner Justice Project at email@example.com or call him at 212-337-8550, ext. 302. You can also reach out to Kymare Hutchinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 646-923-8340.
Know Your Rights
If you have been turned away from a visit, we urge you to report the matter and appeal it with the Board of Correction. Learn how to report concerns and appeals here.
You can learn more about visiting by checking out this great guide to visiting created by JAC. Our friends at the Legal Aid Society also have an FAQ on visiting the NYC jails.
Read Up on the Trends
If you want to learn more about visitation restrictions and appeals, please read the reports issued by the Board of Correction analyzing trends for each month. The Board of Correction also chairs a visitation committee which reports almost monthly on their efforts to improve visits. You can view past reports by watching the videos of the meetings.
News from the Prisoner Justice Project!
- What is the Sylvia Rivera Law Project’s Prisoner Advisory Committee? (11/2/2017)
- NYC Board of Corrections Issues New Resolution to Protect Incarcerated TGNCI Individuals from Sexual Assault (11/2/2017)
- Meet Some of Our Wonderful Prisoner Advisory Committee Members! (11/1/2017)
- NYC Board of Correction Issues Resolution to Increase Safety for Incarcerated Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Intersex People (10/12/2017)
- 10 Years Later: SRLP Updates “It’s War in Here” (9/1/2017)
- Building Together Towards Liberation: Tools & Resources for Resistance (5/15/2017)
- A New Resource for Incarcerated Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Intersex New Yorkers (5/4/2017)
- SRLP Seeks to HALT Isolated Confinement in New York State Prisons (4/30/2017)
- What You Can Do To Bring TGNCI Prisoners Home (2/12/2017)
- 15 Systematic Policies and Legal Rules That SRLP Helped Change (12/20/2016)